Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Hans Bellmer

When I was 17, Hans Bellmer was my favorite artist.  I was completely captivated by his surrealism and sometimes color schemes.  I have a memory of being at the downtown Houston library just to look at this one Hans Bellmer book that was only there (as far as Houston is concerned).  It had a blue cover and at the time I just thought it was magnificent.  I stayed for hours reading it, as you could not check it out.  And on top of that, the book was kept in a glass case under lock and key!  The price of the book was extremely expensive ( I don't remember how much but way out of my reach at the time).  I remember writing down the ISBN number in hopes that one day I could purchase it. 

Interesting, now as I am 28, Hans Bellmer is no longer my favorite artist.  He is actually far from it.  It's amazing how you change as you get older.  Tastes and convictions.  I find his work extremely dark and perverted now.  I can still appreciate the surrealism and craft of his work, but that is about it.

Detailed history on Hans Bellmer (German artists from the 1930's) can be found here

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ratings and Recommendations by outbrain