Thursday, April 19, 2012

West Indies, you say? Provo? Turks and Caicos?




You might be wondering how do you decide to go on holiday somewhere like this? Most of the time I end up going somewhere based on a picture. A perfect example of that is when one day I came across a mysterious & alluring photograph of beautiful trees rising up out of a misty fog from a small island. It was almost like a silhouette. This was a picture taken in Acadia National Park and at the time I had never, ever, EVER heard of it. I looked it up and kept it in my mind until in 2007 I went there with a friend. I have been hooked ever since, and have been back twice. It's difficult each vacation I take not to go back there....but there are too many beautiful & interesting places in the world not to discover more. But I'm still convinced I'm supposed to live on Mount Desert Island :) FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE!!!

But here we are in beautiful Turks & Caicos.




That is the beautiful water of Turks & Caicos above. This small group of islands are known for their absolutely stunning water, and it's true, you can just stare and stare and not believe what you are looking at....But this vacation has been different on so many levels. We have been spoiled. I'm afraid we will probably be disappointed at the water anywhere else we go. I thought, with the exception of the Maldives, but I ran into someone here who said the water here in Turks & Caicos is even better than the water in the Maldives. Just getting to the point where we decided on a tropical destination was a challenge. If you would have asked me a year ago if I wanted to go somewhere tropical, I would have answered unequivocally NO!!!






But now that our trip is nearing the final end, I am happy we decided on something new and unexpected for us. We had spent days searching through magazines and sifting trhough websites to arrive at the final destination of Grace Bay Club on the island of Provodenciales also referred to as "Provo" in the Turks & Caicos Islands.




We have been thouroughly impressed with Grace Bay Club. I was quite apprehensive with the whole idea of a "resort." It down right scared me...the idea of being so close to so many other people and staff serving you left and right. But I wouldn't say it is crowded here, and there is plenty of privacy. And from our view up and down Grace Bay, I would say definitely Grace Bay Club seems the most appealing having the best dining on the beach (3 restaurants overlooking the water) and I love their "beds on the beach."




I think the only other place I would have possibly wanted to stay more on this island is Amanyara (I have grown obsessed w/ Amanyara resorts that are all over the world), but they were sold out for the time we wanted except for their 3 room villas...which we certainly did not need.

But despite that I am glad we stayed here at Grace Bay Club. When we arrived at the airport they had a driver take us from the airport to the resort. When you walk in the lobby they have the manager greet you and someone else hands you cold refreshing towels w/ the scent of refreshing herbs. At first I wasn't quite sure what to do with this mysterious rag, but you have a natural desire to place in on your face (which I did :)). They then offer you their lethal rum punch! :)






Then they introduce you to your own 7-10pm concierge service. Our two concierge were Marvin & Julio who rotated shifts and took care of everything we wanted to do. We had a resort issued cell phone we took with us everywhere, and anytime we wanted anything we just dialed "2" for Marvin & Julio. One of them would answer and we would tell them what we needed: snorkleing, parasailing, massage for 2...whatever, and they arrange it for you. Pretty neat....and pretty different.







What is funny & strange is that this morning we decided not to go to the buffet breakfast that overlooks the ocean. Instead we decided to order room service breakfast. Late in the morning, we recieved a call from Marvin: "Mr. Clark, you were not at breakfast this morning." Haha the reason why they are calling Patrick "Mr. Clark" is entirely different story I'll have to tell some other time, but I thought it was funny they call and make sure you are okay since you did not show up for their fabulous breakfast. What are they thinking? Are they dead in their room?





I have many funny stories from just our one week here. I'll have to space it out. But what were the highlights?

~a giant sea turtle swimming right underneath me while snorkeling

~going to a deserted island where there shoot Victoria Secret swimsuit photos and searching for giant iguanas- and finding them!

~throwing up off the side of the boat (both of us)

~riding bikes around the island

~getting our first couples massage (patrick's first ever)

~walking on the beach at sunset

~relaxing on the beach (and by the pool)

~feeding the stray cat aka "pirate"

~going parasailing (patrick's first time)

~kayaking

~watching a drunk lady fall off a wall onto rocks and her husband not even getting out of the pool and just saying "she alright, she alright" Hahahahhahaahhahah

~oh, and how could I forget, my hair is GREEN, now. Not kidding.










Live life, live life- you only have one.

2 comments:

  1. I just read this.. sigh, I felt more relaxed just reading it. Sounds amazing. I'm glad you overcame your presumptions about tropical vacations.

    I love your adventurous spirit - it may be my favorite thing about you. Anyways, great vacation, great post.

    p.s. - why did your hair turn green?

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.p.s. - Also, are you getting these comments? I only ask cuz I haven't gotten a reply on any of the earlier comments (not that one was needed) and it makes me curious whether these reach you or not. I suppose I'll find out now, heh.

    ReplyDelete

Ratings and Recommendations by outbrain